This page is here to support you with any questions that you may have about applying for a Secondary School place, for your child or children. If you have any other queries please don’t hesitate to contact the school office.
Here at Whitehall Park, our staff provide a range of support and guidance for parents and children in choosing the right Senior School for their needs. We understand that this is a huge transitions and endeavour to support our children and families in the best way that we can.
At Whitehall Park School, we prepare our children for moving onto a wide variety of secondary schools. As a Free School we are very mindful of, but not restricted by, the National Curriculum. Our curriculum is personally structured and, in the later years, there is a clear focus placed on supporting our pupils with their transitions into Secondary education. Our creative curriculum remains broad and balanced with a continued emphasis on creativity, questioning, and independent thinking.
We start preparing our children for secondary school from the day they join Whitehall Park by:
- Working closely with Haringey and Islington as well as adjoining local authorities where our families live, such as Camden, Barnet and Enfield to assist parents with the application process.
- Building strong links with a wide range of secondary schools – academies, foundation, voluntary-aided, independent, girls’, boys’ and mixed schools – in both the state and independent sector
Secondary school transfer process
We support all our families in making their choice for their child’s future secondary school. This is our process:
- Each September, Year 5 parents receive a copy of our Secondary School Information Pamphlet, outlining the support we offer.
- Year 4 and 5 parents receive a Secondary School Information Booklet. It contains information about the schools that are in our area and the surrounding local authorities, the number of offers received, and scholarships awarded. Read the latest Secondary School Information Booklet.
- Each June, we will hold an information evening about the range of secondary schools and the application process for Year 4 and 5 parents. (A representative from both Haringey and Islington Local Education Authorities will attend to explain the state school application process.)
- Each Year 5 summer term and Year 6 autumn term, parents visit secondary schools.
- Applications for state grammar secondary schools are made in the Year 5 summer term.
- For Year 6 children with additional needs,we invite parents and the Secondary School Inclusion Leader (SENCO) to take part in the Annual Review of the Statement/Education Health and Care plan. The child and Learning Support Assistant complete a transition program, then visit the new secondary together to provide a smooth transition.
- Each summer term, we prepare full handover information forms and references, facilitate secondary staff visits and pupil visits to their new schools to ensure our children leave Whitehall Park feeling confident about the next stage of their educational journey.